Saturday, October 8, 2016

A Struggle with Church

            Let me tell you of the time I almost cried during World Communion Sunday…. But to fully understand the impact of those almost tears; I have to explain my history on church and what church currently means to me now (which could change in the time one of my fellow readers reads this blog in the future.) I grew up in a Christian household and we went to church when I was little, but church was never forced on us. The church that I went to was a church that, I felt, focused more on numbers and doing things “their way,” than on spirituality and forming connections. As someone who walks to the beat of her own drum, needless to say, I did not appreciate this. I stopped going to church there because I was socially overwhelmed, I was overwhelmed by how everybody wore masks at church (and yes, a 5 year can pick up on those vibes.)
            During the time I stopped going to church my early childhood years, I was always spiritual just not religious. (But that’s a story for another time.) In middle school, my mom was in seminary and several of her assignments included her visiting different churches. Because of my deep desire for reconciliation of people of multi faiths (I was weird in middle school. I focused on interfaith dialogue instead of boys.) I decided to tag along with my mom for those assignments. Throughout the years my mom was in seminary, and even during her ordination process, I considered myself a church jumper. I believe my dad and brother tagged along for some of those church jumping years, but I can’t speak for them for that. Because of my faith at the time and my experience with church jumping, I considered church an outlet for worship but not an actual family or community. I usually just went where my mom was preaching.
            Fast forward several years, my mom became the head pastor of what I consider my home church today. My faith matured, my perspective started to change and I started to go to church more regularly. Several times I was asked, “Do you want to be a member here?” “Do you want to go through the new members class?” And every time my answer was the same, “No.” I’m going to be leaving this church and attend a different church one some day right, so why would I become a member? I had church attachment issues. What if my mom leaves the church, wouldn't it be awkward if I were still a member there? That is some PK (preacher’s kid) stuff. Do I really need to be a member of a church to be a good Christian? Still believe there is some theological truth to that, but open to other interpretations. But despite all these questions and opinions, I still decided to get confirmed as a new member last spring (I’m officially PRESBYTARIAN!). Why you ask? Honestly, I can’t tell you in words. I just felt like it was important to have a home church for emotional support as I embark on my Californian adventure.
            The day I was confirmed as a new member was actually a much more emotional day than I thought. I have been attending that church for a good 4-5 years. A lot of people already knew me, and after the service several people came up to me and asked, “I thought you already were a member?” “Now it’s official,” was my reply. So, why am I telling you this fellow reader? Simple, because I’ve been missing my home church. Something that I never thought I would experience as someone who used to church hop. This feeling comes and goes and honestly I cannot explain it. The sensation is just so new to me. I’m starting to see the church as an embodiment and not just a building.  Which is really hard to do considering all the church politics. Trust me, I’m a Presbyterian PK, I know about church politics. Another new sensation that I felt often is the fact that I’m Presbyterian. To me, all denominations are beautiful. People choose his or her denomination that connects them most to Christ, how can a pathway to God not be beautiful? So for me, as long as you are not sacrificing chickens, we are good. But during orientation in New York, since the YAV program is through the PC(USA), there was a heavily influence of Presbyterianism. The worship used inclusive language but I could still tell that PC(USA) was a big component of the YAV program. I don’t think this was a bad thing. But when I came to LA, I had to leave that Presbyterian environment (for lack of a better term). I am still in a Christian environment, but it’s interesting being going from a group of 40+ Presbyterian to the only Presbyterian in the house. Why is this something that matters to me? We are all Christians so it shouldn't matter to me. Maybe it has something to do with familiarity? However, it does not matter as much as processing my emotions on World Communion Sunday.
            I have partaken in World Communion Sunday before, while I acknowledge the spiritual presence of that day and am humbled by the importance of it, it is something that I often forget about. If I missed out in participating in communion that day it wouldn't be the end of the world. However, on that Sunday I became very upset that I couldn't partake in World Communion Sunday with my church family. I had no idea why that was. Maybe it has something to do with it being one of my mom’s favorite holy days, and I can intuitively pick up on that tap into it. If I was back home missing out on having communion with my church that day would not have bothered me as much. It’s as if I’ve been juggling so many balls that Sunday I ended up dropping some of them. By me dropping one these balls that Ive been juggling, I was able to see what I the balls were trying to hide. I wont get into the details of what my metaphoric balls were trying to hide, but I will say that a big part of what I they were trying to hide is faith and rediscovery my faith (although life is constantly a journey of rediscovering our faith). Yes, I miss my church family, but on a deeper level I have been spiritually struggling to find joy.
            Overall, I think I’ve been living a fruitful life in LA, or at least I’ve been trying my best. I’ve been talking to God, trying my best to listen, practicing Lectio Divina and going to church.  However, I have been spiritually fruitless in the fact that I have not found joy in what I have been doing here. I did my best to explain this to some friends and got several wise answers. I tried to explain it to one friend but it did not come out fully as I wanted it to because of all the emotions I was sorting out (ball dropping). Plus I couldn't explain it to my friend because of the physical dynamic of where we were; it was not my preferred place to be emotionally vulnerable. Despite the conversation going in the direction that I did not want it to go, my friend said something very insightful to me when I told him I’m having trouble finding joy, “Well, where do you find joy?"

            Looking back, that is a logical question to ask in that circumstance, but there is something in that question that made me realize I need to take a step back. The question is so simple, but so profound. For the sake of keeping the conversation going, I said that I find joy in people being vulnerable with me. This is true but I believe there is something deeper than that. When thinking about what my answer to that question would be, it made me realize that I don't exactly know what joy is. I’ve been told several times what joy is but I either forget or it doesn't stick for some reason. So joy is spiritual happiness but you can also be said right? Isn’t joy spiritual peace? The truth is I have NO IDEA what joy is and how it plays a part of my spiritual life. And another truth is that I’m not Gandhi or Mother Teresa, so it’s ok that I don’t know what joy is. I don't need to add stress to my life of adaption and add another ball to juggle that ‘s titled, “The What Is Joy Ball.” Even though I’m not going to overanalyze what joy is and how it plays apart of my spiritual life, I am still going to make an effort this year to figure that out. Because no matter what spiritual problems I’m facing, no matter what emotions are eating at us, no matter what balls we are juggling, God is with us. God is whispering into every one of our hearts, “Just Breathe.”

No comments:

Post a Comment